Teenager to enter plea following 'attemped murder' at Tate Modern
Geraldine Kendall Adams, 08.08.2019
Police appeal for witnesses after six-year-old 'thrown' from viewing platform
A 17-year-old boy will appear at the Old Bailey today to enter his plea to a charge of attempted murder, after a six-year-old child was allegedly thrown from a viewing platform at Tate Modern last weekend.
At a hearing earlier this week, Bromley Magistrates Court was told how the child, a French national who was visiting the gallery with his family, suffered a bleed to the brain and broke his spine, arms and legs in the fall.
He plunged from the 10th floor balcony of the London gallery’s Blavatnik extension, falling around 100ft to a lower roof of the gallery. The child is now in a critical but stable condition in hospital. He is not thought to have been known to the suspect.
The accused, who cannot be named, has been remanded in custody at a youth detention centre.
Police are appealing for people who were at the gallery on Sunday 4 August to come forward, particularly anyone who may have witnessed suspicious behaviour in the hours before the incident.
A Tate spokeswoman said: “Tate is working closely with the police to help with their investigations. All our thoughts are with the child and his family.”
She said the gallery has since reopened but the viewing platform would remain closed for the time being.